Monday 11 April 2011

Crail calling

With the sun shining, the wind in my hair and a grumbling tummy, I embarked upon my trip to Crail last Sunday. As a new visitor to Crail, I was entirely objective as to what I might find. I pictured a small seaside town ripe with neighbourly camaraderie, the sort of place where every corner you turn there are huddles of locals catching up on the recent happenings. Upon my arrival this was confirmed, but what I didn’t expect was a village that exuded such beauty. A village where a great deal of effort has been made to keep things as traditional as possible, and in so many ways, the villagers have triumphed.

In an attempt to add yet another notch to the already booming belt, local guesthouse and tearoom owner Graham Anderson is championing the Crail Food Festival. Taking place from the 17th June – 19th June 2011, the festival has been organised in order to raise awareness of the melting pot of local culinary offerings available in and around the Fife coastal area. Graham, owner of The Honeypot, has been relentless in his campaign to get local food producers involved. After chatting to him on Sunday, some of his passion had clearly rubbed off on me, as I wandered around the village, taking in the local bounty.

Excited by the prospect of the festival itself, I was so pleased to hear that there will be a launch night for the festival on the 23rd of April. This will be an opportunity for locals and producers alike to meet over a drink and some nibbles to discuss the outline of the festival, whilst encouraging those from near and far to make the most of the delicious local produce on their doorstep.

The event itself promises something for everyone. With stalls exhibiting locally grown products, tasting stands, children’s entertainment and the grand finale of fresh lobster on the harbour, Crail Food Festival is a guaranteed date for the diary. So if like me, you have never ventured much past Elie, you are missing out. This village has such a wealth to offer, that I am already counting down the days to my next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment